The first school was kept by Rebecca Filer at the Mountain House, Perry Andress's place, 1871. There were four pupils. The first one room school house is still in town - it was moved to a site on Monroe Street, and is a private residence. Today, Mancelona Schools are Home of the Ironmen with 951 students and 167 staff members. The Elementary and High School buildings are on West Limits Road. Central Office, the Middle School and the football field are on St. John Street. The Resource Centers are on Grove Street.